Have you ever heard people say, "Don't start a fitness program without talking to your doctor first"?
Why is that?
If you haven't been exercising regularly, it's recommended to get a check up from your Doctor prior to starting. Many people may not be aware of the underlying diseases, health conditions, or deficits that they may be encountering. Certain conditions could impact your fitness and could cause more harm in the future. Having a fitness evaluation can help rule out areas of concern and possible risk factors. We want to provide safe and effective programs which will prevent injuries long term.
The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that you see your doctor before engaging in vigorous exercise if two or more of the following apply:
- You're older than 35 years.
- You have a family history of heart disease before age 60.
- You smoke or you quit smoking in the past six months.
- You don't normally exercise for at least 30 minutes, most days of the week.
- You're significantly overweight.
- You have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- You have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, or you have impaired glucose tolerance (also called prediabetes).
We recommend a fitness evaluation for:
- People looking to start a new fitness program, who haven't just finished course of physical therapy
- People looking for a fitness program to set goals, such as running a 5K or losing weight.
- People recovering from surgery or medical treatment and looking to resume activity
- People considering orthopedic surgery, to ensure you can gain the best possible strength prior to having a joint replacement or other surgery.
- Going on a vacation where you might be doing more activities than usual. We even set up travel fitness plans for folks going on vacations, like skiing out West, or hiking through the Cotswolds!
What's in the Fitness Evaluation?
We perform a full examination of client's musculoskeletal system, with emphasis on any 'problem areas'. 'Problem areas' are areas of previous injury or chronic conditions. A comprehensive, evidence-based battery of tests will then be performed. This will be used to assess upper body and lower body strength, flexibility, endurance, as well as balance, agility, and coordination. From these results, a customized exercise regimen will be developed, in written form, and presented for immediate use.
Call us at (302) 234-288 to schedule your fitness evaluation today!